Warning: Read post in full before attempting…You will see why!
I was thrilled when Sherry and Katie from Young House Love and Bower Power announced…
I had been saving my cute little green Perrier bottles with the idea that they would make super cute bud vases that would come in very handy when my flowers start blooming in the next few weeks.
But then I came across this on Pinterest-
Pinned from The Thrillz of Hillz
Suddenly my saved Perrier bottles had a purpose! They were destined to become super cute juice glasses that would add a nice punch of color in our glass cabinet. I had it all planned out. So using my bottles, butcher twine, nail polish remover, an ice bath in the sink, and a lighter, I got started.
To start, I tied the twine around the neck of the bottle 4 or 5 times.
I then removed it, soaked it in a plastic container of nail polish remover. I used a container that could just be recycled afterward. Then I placed it back on the neck of the bottle and took the lighter to it. Can you make out that flame? It’s so incredibly faint. I think that should have been my first clue that this round wasn’t going to work out. But I followed instructions to slowly rotate the bottle so all of it gets some flame. I let it burn as long as I could. It was supposed to be about 60 seconds, but it extinguished itself after about 15 seconds.
Once the flame extinguished itself I dunked it in to my ice bath.
And nothing happened. So on to round 2 – more twine! I wrapped it around the neck a bit higher thinking the glass might be a little thinner up there.
Again, I immersed the twine in nail polish and lite it. This flame looked much more promising.
And again, nothing happened. I did like the instructions and tapped it. The instructions said to use a spoon, but I tapped it against the metal rim of the garbage disposal, and the top cracked off. Not at the string line, but at the mouth. So next round – new ammunition – yarn.
For round 3 I took the line back down a bit. So here are the standings. 1st round nothing, 2nd round broken top,
And 3rd round…well the flame looks more promising than the others and
with a flame like that, I was sure that I had found success…
Well at least this time it broke it half, just not how I was hoping. Maybe I used too much yarn, maybe I let it burn too long. So, less yarn, less burn on the next time around.
It looks like a little winter scarf around the neck of the bottle!
Looking good, looking good, but no go!
Nothing worked, so after 4 failures, I threw in the towel on this one. I failed this challenge, but I will be back with another. I’m convinced this can work. Maybe I’ll just need to find different bottles, and maybe different yarn…we’ll see, but I’ll definitely keep you in the loop!
I’m still working on having something for tomorrows pinterest challenge deadline…stay tuned!!
8 thoughts on “Pinterest Challenge: FAILURE”
Or rather, dislike! :P
I have always seen this technique on Pinterest but was skeptical. I am sad to seem to be proven correct, in this case at least.
I wonder if it is just the type of bottle?
Or if there should be only a line or two of string. Hmmm. Definitely keep us updated!
I am extremely curious, & want you to figure this out so that you may have awesome drinking glasses!
I’m still convinced it’ll work :) I’m going to get different bottles and try again…it’s too cool not to give a second chance!
My best of luck to you!
Aww I love YHL and Bower Power too! I remember reading a YHL post about a year or so ago about this very thing. They couldn’t get it to work as promised either. So sad to have to dispose of such pretty bottles. :(
Emily, we got a much cleaner break at Matt’s place a few years ago(accidentally). We had filled a glass with absinthe, lit the absinthe on fire, let it burn for too long, and dropped in a couple ice cubes. The perfect break was kind of amazing; it worked because the fire was only on the surface of the liquid!
But isn’t that kind of a waste of absinthe especially while I’m pregnant. Maybe next year we can have an absinthe party and break bottles :)
This actually would have worked if you’d scored the Perrier bottles with a bottle cutter before burning. But – a much easier way is to score the bottle where you want the separation, then pour boiling water over the score, then quickly pour cold water over it. Separates the bottle cleanly every time. But… if nothing else, now I want to play with Perrier bottles! :)
Thanks for the suggestion. That seems quite a bit easier :) I’ll have to get out the bottles and try again!